Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Healer's Wife Part 4 of 7

She had discovered the truth five years ago, the terrifying truth of the price he paid for the use of his gift. The clues had always been there. Afterward, she was amazed she had failed to see them earlier. He had always been a quiet man, not one to talk or dwell on the past. She now knew why.

"You must stop," she said. "You must stop immediately."

"How can I?" he replied. "How can I turn people away knowing I can help them?"

"What of yourself? What of us?"

He turned his face from her, and she balled her hands into fists and beat them upon his chest, beat until her gasping sobs sapped her strength. He held her then, held her until her crying abated, until she had the strength to push herself away and look at him. His face was no longer turned.

"I will never give you up," he said.

"Never?" She hugged him close, whispered in his ear. "But you will. One day you will."

He drew her away, raised her chin with gentle fingers. "Promise me," she said before he could speak. "Promise me, and I'll believe you."

"I promise," he said, and there in his arms she allowed herself to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment