Monday, February 28, 2011

Resting Heart Rate

My measurement this morning was 57 bpm taken before I got out of bed. I'll take it a couple more times tomorrow and Wednesday but I think my baseline is going to be 57, which is much better than I expected. (I wrote yesterday that my measurement was 67, but this was incorrect.)

Checking here, that puts me in the Athlete category. I'm certainly no longer an athlete, but I'll take it. I think my goal is going to be to get it to 50.

I use a heart rate monitor and wear it during my workouts. The object is to stay in a predefined heart rate zone using the Karvonen formula. Here is a link that shows how I calculate a target training zone heart rate.

Mine is 127 to 151, but I usually get up into the low 160s for the last minute or two. I try not to overtrain. If my body doesn't have a chance to recover between workouts, I'll not make progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment